Pages

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Project Chickville


Have you been to one of those wall to wall trampoline places with your children yet?  If not you should!  It’s a ton of fun and wears the heck out of your children.  Lots of exercise and lots of smiles equals a win-win in my book. 


Now, that I have you thinking about a big warehouse with trampolines on the floor and the walls, add some on the ceiling.



Then add a bunch of boys jumping all over the place.



Then add Legos, lots and LOTS of Legos all over the trampolines.



And Superhero action figures.  You can’t forget those.



And Hot Wheels.



Throw in dirty clothes with emphasis on the stinky socks and that right there my friends is my house. 



All boy! All. The. Time. 



Don’t get me wrong, it’s a ton of fun at the same time.  I mean who DOESN’T like jumping on wall to wall trampolines! 



But there are times during the day, week, month where I would like a little something that screams GIRLY!!! 



Or a room in the house you could walk into and say to yourself, OHHHH a girl lovingly decorated this room and it looks like her personal space.



There is a TON of talk on the internet and within the media about men having a “mancave” or a “manland” in their home.  But my whole house IS in fact the definition of “manland”. 



What I need??  What I really really need is some small place girly that I can go to to get some “me” time.  What?  It could happen….someday right?



I’ve recently decided that that place, lovingly named as Chickville is going to be our Master Bedroom.  The décor of which up until now could only be described as a clean modern day frat house. 



I’ve started with small steps.  Small steps like an actual bed frame with a headboard, and nightstands to match.  Whhhhaoooo!!!



Then, just recently I purchase honest-to-goodness grown up, pretty bedding to go with the furniture!! It’s the little things, you know!





See!  Pretty right?  And dare I say sort of girly even!



It’s currently a work in progress, but it’s a FUN project and I’m excited!



But I would love your help.



Are you game?



Would you mind sharing your secrets with me?



Here’s what I’d like to know…



What would you do to a space in your home to make it your very own Chickville?



14 comments:

Kate F. (@katefineske) said...

Flowers! Definitely add flowers or some plants. I love to pick up fresh flowers for our dinning table. They brighten up the whole house.

And if flowers and plans aren't your thing (aka - you have a hard time keeping them alive), GO FAKE! There are some really great fake flowers out there that you can't even tell are fake!

Also, photos - I put our wedding photos in our master room and they remind me of the "young me." :)

P.S. Yea for a headboard! I remember when I actually spent money on our sleigh bed - it felt good! :)

Anonymous said...

I love that you're creating some girl space. I just had a friend ask me if I wanted to come over and see her "girl cave" in her new house. She has teenage boys - so sounds like she feels your pain too!

Eat. Live. Laugh. and sometimes shop! said...

You deserve a girlie girl space! Flowers on your bedside table?!? A vanity or reading nook? Something that is yours, yours, yours!! xoxo

Alison said...

As a fellow solo chick in her house, I so know this!! If it's not manly man, it's just boring neutral.

I haven't got a chickyville type place in my house, but if I did get round to it, I'd do pops of color - cushions, pretty pictures, flowers.

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Kate,

OHHH flowers! I will have to pick those up at the farmers market this weekend.

I will definitely have to find a place for a nice fake tree! I don't want any more dirt in the house then I already have!

Baby steps! Thanks for the suggestions!

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Missy,

I'm sure trying! A girls just got to have some place that doesn't have a lego, or spiderman in it!

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Amy,

Ohhhh a reading nook! That is music to my ears. Must investigate! Thanks for the suggestion.

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Alison,

LOVE getting advice from fellow solo chicks! I'm going to have to spend some time finding some pretty pictures. My walls are blank right now and we've been in the house for 5 figgin yrs!! *sigh*

Julie said...

Tampons!

Leave them lying around everywhere!

Just kidding. I have one son, one daughter, a male husband, two female dogs and a male guinea pig.

Also, I have no fashion sense whatsoever.

I will tell you that your "grownup" bed is so awesome I'm jealous.

So. No good advice here.
Except for maybe "don't get a guinea pig."

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Julie,

HA! I swear my wine almost came out my nose while reading your comment, and can I tell you...that stuff burns!!!

I was so giddy about my grownup bed it was embarassing! I brought my husband up to show him what I did as if I was showing him our brand new child for the first time.

Tampons stratigically placed everywhere? Check!!

No Guinea pigs. Double Check!!!

Bridget said...

Any door with a lock and a No Boys Allowed sign!

The Woven Moments said...

I love scented candles. They are my girly Achilles heel!

Sandra said...

First of all, you need to paint those wall bubblegum pink! After that, you'll be so blinded by the colour, you won't need details. I do covet your girlie bedding though. And PS: I think making your master bedroom into your chick place is brilliant!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.