Pages

Monday, December 12, 2011

In My Hometown


I am one of those lucky people who loved where they grew up so much that I came back to raise my family and hopefully give them as many wonderful childhood memories as I had growing up. 


It’s a place where:


~falling asleep to the sounds of the ferry and the train horns in the distance is considered soothing


~all coffee is DEFINITELY not the same


~you can watch a great movie at the local family owned theater that only has one screen and gives popcorn to children free of charge


~virtually everything is within walking distance if you are willing to venture out


~you can have an amazing meal at your choice of several fancy little hole-in-the-wall restaurants


~there are children and retirees GALORE


~the beach is just a few minutes away (don’t get too excited, it’s not a beach by California standards, but we love it)


~the poor fountain in the center of town is always the focal point for high school pranks


~you don’t have to drive or walk very far to find nature.  There are beaches, trails, woods, and parks abound.  And the views, oh the views…mountains, water, and gorgeous sunsets. *sigh*


~people feel safe.  They care for their friends and neighbors and generally look out for one another.  They are always willing to lend a hand and they care about their community.


I love my hometown and I hope that my children will someday feel the same way!


What do you love the most about your hometown?

Linking up with The Listmaster herself for Monday Listicles and this weeks selection was chosen by the fabulous Amanda from Lilahbility.


20 comments:

MamáRegia said...

I guess that is why baby feels so well when I have the white noise in her room, might mimic the train, tv or something.

www.mamaandthecity.com

Stasha said...

Oh I love this! Sounds like you and I love the same things about our hometowns! I like to walk everywhere too :)

Alison said...

Your hometown sounds idyllic!! I wanna go!

Fabulosokids Bruce said...

Sounds Awesome! But wait--where is your hometown?

christina said...

this sounds LOVELY!!! actually sounds like my favorite vacation spot just 90 minutes north of me in Michigan...

Ado said...

It sounds like a perfect place to grow up, like Mayberry! So glad you are lucky enough to get to raise your kids there.

LA Botchar said...

sounds like a great place to grow up...and to raise your kids. It has a lot of the same qualities as the town I live in right now (as opposed to my hometown that I wrote about....it's getting too big to have some of that idyllic aspect now, but it did when I was younger.)

Miss Marina Star said...

Your hometown sounds lovely. Even though we're happy in our suburban home, I've always wanted to raise my family in a village-like setting where everything is within walking distance.

Liz Mays said...

I wish I felt that way about mine, but it's such a small-minded judgmental community that I just don't feel warmly about it at all.

Eve said...

I love how you describe your hometown. It sounds awesome!

Bridget said...

It sounds like Mayberry! I mean that as a compliment:)

Anonymous said...

I would love to live somewhere where people feel safe again. I didn't realize that existed anymore!

Kelly K @ Dances with Chaos said...

You make me want to visit.

Jackie said...

Sounds like you were lucky to have grown up and in turn returned to the perfect hometown! Looking back, I realize now my hometown wasn't too shabby, but the place we live now is perfect for us!

Amanda said...

You're always so cryptic about the details! :) Well, "somewhere in the Pacific Northwest" will just have to stifle my curiosity for now. Anyway, sounds like a lovely hometown and a wonderful place to grow up and raise kids.

Kimbery said...

I won't lie, the city I live in, I loathe.
I mean it's close to everything and it's big but not big...but I just don't like it.
I grew up in the country and I loved the feel. Everyone knew everyone.
We plan on moving back there. Some day.

AudreyN said...

You're right, all coffee is not the same :) Your hometown sounds wonderful!

Cookie’s Mom said...

I love that you returned home with your own family. Sounds like a great place to raise one!

Julie said...

What I love most about my hometown is that I still live there.

I know. Never really moved away. Kind of sad. But. I always say, "If you have to be stuck somewhere, it's a great place to stick."

Or something more clever than that, I'm sure.

Natalie said...

Sounds like you come from a pretty sweet hometown :)