Pages

Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Next Best Thing to Mommy

All three of my boys have had or still have a second mommy.

This second mommy takes over for me when they are napping, long car rides, or at nighttime.  It follows them to sleepovers, and on vacations.  It makes them feel safe, secure, and loved until I come into their rooms with a smile, open arms and a smothering of kisses.

These second mommy’s are my children’s lovies.

Big T who is now eight just bravely gave up his lovey this year.  It started out as a thermal baby blanket that was sky blue in color.  It ended as a white fabric rendition of a massive spider web.  I’m not kidding!  It had so many holes and rips in it that we were throwing it away piece by piece.  Finally this summer, Big T took it upon himself to throw away the last peace.  And he cried about it.  He was so sad to have to give up his second mom lovey.  But he’s past that now…he’s growing up. 

His little brothers still have theirs.

Sweet Pea has a lovey that is very near and dear to him.  He HAS to sleep with him during his naps and at night.  He even tucks him in right next to his head.  If his nose isn’t right he will yank on it to fix it so that “he can breathe better.”  He talks to him like he is a person and never ever goes without giving kisses and hugs to him multiple times a day.  For years he pretended to be his lovey's mommy.  Just recently he realized that only girls could be mommy’s so he changed to being his lovey’s daddy.  Everyone, I’d like to introduce you to Bay Bear:


Bay Bear doesn’t just have a special place in Sweet Pea’s heart; he also has a special place in mine, because of when and where Bay Bear came into our lives.  All of us first met Bay Bear in the hospital when Sweet Pea was born.  He was a gift to Sweet Pea from his big brother and the very first gift Sweet Pea ever received.  Big T was very proud to be a big brother and he was VERY excited to give his new baby brother a gift.  From that moment on, Bay Bear was always in Sweet Pea’s bed to provide love, comfort, and safety.  Big T made sure of it! 

So to say Bay Bear is special is an understatement! 

Buggy’s second mommy is one that was given to us by a family friend before he was born.  The two weren’t introduced until Buggy went into his crib at 3 months of age, but ever since then it has been a match made in heaven.  His second mommy is currently named Lovey Bunny until he has the words to name his lovey himself.  Without further ado…here he is:


Half Stuffed Bunny, half blanket and ALL LOVE.  Buggy loves to hold his ears, to roll them in between his fingers.  Not his arms or the blanket part…his ears.  Buggy is not at the point where he has to have him in the car, in the shopping car, or in the bathtub with him (yet).  But he absolutely cannot rock or sleep without him.

I am extremely thankful for my children’s second mommys.  For the warmth, the softness, and the security they give my children when I’m not there.  It is because of them my children are able to sleep soundly and peacefully.  It’s because of them that I get a break during their naps, and don’t have to run into the boys’ bedrooms 17 times a night (I don’t know where I got the number 17, just go with it).

But mostly, I’m thankful for the memories they are giving my children, and for the memories they are giving me.

Does your child have a lovey? 

I’m linking up with my fabulous friend Christine at Quasi Agitato because she is hosting a linky about lovies.  Yeah, I know…she rocks!




46 comments:

Tim@sogeshirts said...

Those lovies are so cute. Very cool that your son takes care of one like he is bay bears dad. I used to love my stuffed teddy bears when I was a kid.

Alison said...

Aw, I love that Bay Bear was a gift from big brother! Such cute lovies.

Heather said...

So cute! I love those special gifts. My girls like lovies and always have something with them when they sleep, but they never had one they were specifically attached to.

Christine Siracusa said...

I so love this post. Bay Bear and Epi would be the hottest couple in Loveywood. Which makes me wonder about Sweet Pea and Daughter...hmmm...
And Lovey Bunny has that perfect combo of softness and satin.

I so appreciate these loveys doing the work that we, the moms, can't always do.

Thanks for linking up!

Unknown said...

Those are great lovies!

Chessa has about seven lovies- does that count? She ahs different ones for each place she sleeps. Elmo & a puppy in her crib. Minnie and another Elmo at her grandmother's house and a bear at daycare. The good news is I don't have to worry about leaving someone at daycare and having a child freak out come bedtime.

Minivan Mama said...

Well, we use to. We miss her like crazy because you truly count on them to be there when your kids need them.

April said...

My oldest (11) had a lovey....actually still sleeps with him but doesn't take him everywhere as he used to. Poor bedraggled puppy. My youngest two do not but sometimes I wish they did...might take some of the pressure off mom. ;)

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Tim,

Thank you so very much for stopping by and commenting. I'm truly honored! It is so adorable to see Sweet Pea taking care of his Bay Bear. My husband is extremely happy that he switched from wanting to be his mommy, to wanting to be his daddy though.

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Alison,

Me too!

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Heather,

Thank you. Your girls just liked to spread they love out equally. I love that!

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Christine,

I'm so glad you like it! Bay Bear and Epi WOULD be the hottest couple in Loveywood! They would be the IT couple without a doubt. As for Sweet Pea and Daughter, I think we should get them together for a play date. See if nature will take it's course! :)

Thanks for creating such a fun linkup!! LOVE IT!

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Krista,

Seven lovies absolutely count. I think its brilliant that she has different lovies for different places. GENIUS!

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Minivan Mama,

I'm so very sorry that you guys lost your lovey! Is there a way you could get another one? I know it's not the same, but just a thought.

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

April,

Aww...that's so sweet! Big T had to give up his lovey because it was ripped to pieces. It was really hard on him. Really hard.

Maybe you could start putting something soft and sweet in your younger two's beds...see if something happens?

Anonymous said...

It is nice to have lovelies. I think that they give us a little peace of mind that they give our children some comfort.
Some nights my son sleeps with a bed full of stuffed animals. After reading this post, I think tonight I am going to take a picture to remember for when he grows up. ;)

Julie said...

All I can say is be sure to save the lovies when your babies outgrow them...

I know it's hard to imagine.

But it will happen. And then, when they are 13 and surly, you can sneak into your closet and pull down the duffle bag where you hide the lovies (shhhh) and you will be overcome with sweetness and nostalgia.

You can survive the teen years this way.

I promise.
xO

Annie said...

Those are precious! None of my kids have ever had a lovie or a binkie or anything. I am really shocked - I thought out of 3 kids at least one of them would! LOL

Missy | Literal Mom said...

Second sweet lovey post I've read this week. My 9 year old still sleeps with her lovey. I am not kidding when I say *I* might need counseling the day she gives it up forever.

To me, it means she's still a kid, you know?

Jamie said...

My boys have blankies, and I'm sure my girls will too. Although they are only allowed them when in bed. I love how the lovies mean just as much to us as they do them! It's our link to them as babies!

Rach (DonutsMama) said...

Donut has one of those bunny/blankie loveys. I'm not quite sure she gets it, but I give it to her every night at bedtime.

mamamash said...

So sweet! My kiddo has a couple of monkeys, but he's not very attached to them. He throws them to the dog and laughs. Should I be worried? :)

Bridget said...

Ooh! I love this linky. Tomorrow, I have to do it!! Reese has a lovey that has a very special story:) I'll share it with you tomorrow.

Grumpy Grateful Mom said...

Those are so cute! Bay Bear reminds me of a favorite bear I had as a child and still have, Kirby. Though I don't sleep with Kirby anymore. Surprisingly none of my kids really have lovies. I think they're missing out!

Anonymous said...

Aw, that is just so sweet!

Jessica said...

How sweet that they have loveys. I bet it was hard for your oldest to throw his lovey away. My oldest is 8 and she doesn't have a lovey but she has a hard time getting rid of anything.

Megan (Best of Fates) said...

Okay, reading about him throwing away his lovey actually made me really sad!

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Optimistic Mom,

Yes, I think lovies are multi-talented in that they provide comfort and security for our children, and peace of mind for us.

I hope you took a picture!

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Julie,

I completely plan on saving the lovies. I was so sad when we had to throw Big T's away, there was just nothing left of it. :(

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Annie,

Thank you! WOW! I thought all kids had lovies. I bet YOU are thier lovey! :)

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Missy,

Christine has a great linky going doesn't she?

I cried when Big T threw away what was left of his lovey. CRIED! He's just so big now somehow.

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Jamie,

Big T only had a blanket, Sweet Pea has a blanket for his Bay Bear, and Buggys Lovey Bunny is part animal part blanket. I think blankets make the BEST lovies.

It's definitely our link to them as babies.

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Rach,

If she has it every night, she will get it soon...especially if she DOESN'T have it one night. Those nights are no fun!

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

mamamash,

Nah no need to worry. The best lovies are played with and used and abused! HA!

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Bridget,

OH I can't wait to read it! Going to see if you linked up now!

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Grumpy Grateful Mom,

Thank you! I still have all my childhood bears as well. They are up in the attic in a box, but they are still with me.

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

The Blue Zoo,

Thank you so much! :)

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Jessica,

It was really a sad day. We both cried. But it was his choice to do it. And there was nothing left of it but strings. :(

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Megan,

It was so hard! But he made the choice all on his own. He's getting so big!

KLZ said...

Alex refuses any lovies. He just like his balls.

Sports and otherwise.

Unknown said...

Pacis were my son's sleeping time friend. They were so hard to give up.


Your children's lovies are so cute.

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

KLZ,

That's so like a boy. All balls!!

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

JDaniel4's Mom,

Oh yes, the Pacis (Binkies). All three of my boys used them (Buggy still does). But it was the hardest for Sweet Pea to give them up!

Sandra said...

awww, I love this! My 14 year old still sleeps with his blankey...although it's a big comforter, but he walks around with that thing drapped over his head. It's a blankey.

Kimberly said...

Aw that's so cute! My 2 year old has a lovie that he is absolutely attached to. My other 2 kids don't really have one.

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Sandra,

Awwww LOL!! I hope you plan on telling your sons girlfriend about his blankey! :)

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Kimberly,

I LOVE how Sweet Pea interacts with Bay Bear. I have a feeling Buggy is on the same course. LOVE IT!