Pages

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Sunday Sweetness ~ One of The Sweetest Sounds


In a house with three very active boys, there is a LOT of noise.  So much sometimes the walls shake, and my eyelids twitch. 



Right now I have baby noises, 5 year old noises, and 8 year old noises in my house.  Combine them together it is like an orchestra that is completely out of sync with each other which results in the patrons asking for their money back.


Big T is in a phase.  My extremely literal everything-is-black-and-white-so-don’t-show me-any-gray son is catching an attitude.  I don’t know who he caught it from, but we’d like to give it back ASAP.  He’s testing his big 8 year old boundaries and his mother’s patience.  But that is a post for another time, or it could possibly be a book.  Only time will tell.



But I have to say that there are things that are said and/or done by my 8 year old that is music to my ears.  I’m not kidding.  It’s the kind of sound that creates a heart-swelling-with-pride-and-happiness feeling.



Since Big T has been back at school, he comes home, has his snack, does whatever homework needs to be done (if any), and then can’t wait to get his nose into a book.  Pure heaven!  Not for the fact that he is reading to himself quietly…okay, I’m not going to lie…that is a HUGE bonus.  But for the sheer fact that he is reading and it isn’t a battle to get him to do it.



But the sweetest sound that Big T is making these days isn’t just reading.  It’s that he is reading to his brothers.  It makes my jaw drop when he actually asks to read to Sweet Pea.  The very brother he has just spent the last two hours trying to get away from OR trying to pummel into the ground. 



But with books, they are on the same team.  Big T loves to read, and Sweet Pea loves to hear the stories.  Sweet Pea is focused and absolutely captivated when his brother reads to him.



In fact, since Big T started reading to Sweet Pea (and occasionally Buggy if he will sit still long enough…fat chance) not only has his reading improved a ton, but now I find Sweet Pea sitting on the couch trying his very best to read to himself.  Can you feel my mommy heart swelling with pride?



That sound, the sound of my oldest son reading to his younger siblings.  That is the sound I’m choosing to hold onto this week.  The one I’m choosing to remember and the sound that I will never let go of.  Because there is seriously nothing sweeter to my mommy ears, and that’s what life is about….remembering its sweetness.    



What is your “sweetness” from this past week? 

26 comments:

Bits of Bee said...

Glad to see I'm not the only one up blogging this late at night! Such a sweet post - sibling love is definitely music to my ears too. My eldest isn't reading yet, but to hear them playing and laughing together definitely melts my heart :)

Alison said...

Aw, that's really music to a mother's ears!! My son's laughter, that's music to mine. I love making him laugh :)

Shell said...

That is so sweet. I hope my boys develop my love of reading.

Desperate Housemommy said...

Agreed on loving our kids' love of reading. My sweet sound is a slight twist on yours: We go to the library regularly. While The Cherubs may bicker with one another all the way there, the ride home is SILENT, save for the turning of pages in the back two seats. I love to peek in the rear view mirror and see them concentrating, smiling, wondering. Love. :)

Kristy @Loveandblasphemy said...

Today while I was cleaning, I thought, Geez! Why does it seem that our house gets so much dirtier nowadays?! Then I thought, Of course, because we have a BOY now (not just a baby). His favorite thing is to play in the dirt. I thought of this though - that we have this dirty boy - with a smile on my face.

Stephanie in Suburbia said...

ADORE! I love kids reading books. My sweetness has to be my toddler waking up and clapping for herself because...well, I guess because she just in general thinks she's awesome? Perhaps she gets too much praise at home, I dunno. But it makes me laugh every time.

Anonymous said...

Very sweet! My son likes to read books with me. I can't imagine the feeling I will have when he reads his first book all by himself. That will definitely be the sweetest sound!

Missy | Literal Mom said...

How wonderful! It makes me feel so good to see my 9 year old being generous and loving with my little one.

Grumpy Grateful Mom said...

I love this! What a beautiful thing. We are still in the battle phases with my 7-year-old daughter, but hopeful that will change. :)

Bridget said...

That is the sweetest story ever! I love it. Good job mom, you did something right for sure:)

McKenna said...

Oh so sweet, I can already see a love for reading developing in my daughter and am hoping the same for my boys.

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Bits of Bees,

HA! I wasn't up that late, I had it scheduled to post while I was sleeping!! ZZZZZZ

Yes, hearing siblings play together instead of trying to kill each other is a wonderful sound!

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Alison,

Oh yes, the belly laugh of a kid is priceless. Priceless!

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Shell,

I'm sure they will, and when they do you will me amazed!!!

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Desperate Housemommy,

Oh that has to be such a delightful sound! I love to spy on my boys reading as well!! LOVE IT!

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Kristy,

I love this! Yes, boys definitely=dirt! But they have so much fun in it, and it's so fun to watch them isn't it?

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Stephanie,

That is adorable!! She sounds like she is excited and ready to start the day! So sweet!

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Optimistic Mom,

It is absolutely amazing, and you will be in awe of the growth that can happen over night.

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Missy,

That is such a lovely thing to see isn't it?

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Grumpy Grateful Mom,

Yeah, the 7 year mark was a little tough, but keep at it. Soon your daughter will realize all the wonderful things reading can do!

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Bridget,

Thanks so much! I sure hope so!

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Jessica,

I have no doubt that all your children will have a love of reading! No doubt at all!

Jamie said...

That is so sweet! Mine is the mamamamamama that one of the girls is saying right now. I'm choosing to believe she knows exactly what it means and who it's for when she does!

Anonymous said...

I'm so tired of hearing my own voice read the same ten books every day! Time to have another baby so they can read to each other! LOL!

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Jamie,

OH I remember that phase. I loved it, and I also chose to believe he knew he was calling me.

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

MamaMash,

Well get on it then! I for one would love to see another one of your adorable chubby babies!!!