Oh how many times have I spoken these words? A gazillion perhaps? As a mom, I always have a running list going in my head of things that absolutely have to get done during the day.
Feed the kids…check.
Make sure the baby is in clean diapers…check.
Make sure the kids get to school on time…check.
Remember to PICK THE KIDS UP at the end of the day…check (sometimes it’s a close one).
Clean the dishes, do laundry, pick up toys, run the kids to whatever sport they are playing at the time…and inevitably unclog a toilet or two. And I never forget to get some play time and some loving time in with my boys.
But there is always a secondary list going on in my head. There are things I would LOVE to do if I had 25 or 26 hours in a day verses 24.
● I would actually decorate my house. We’ve been in this house for 4 years and I still have blank walls in all the rooms with the exception of the boys’ bedrooms and the dining room.
● I would strap on some protective gear and tackle the every growing miscellaneous clothing pile in my closet that I’m convinced was left by aliens from the planet Piles for Miles.
● I would clean and organize the office, which is currently named the indoor garage because of the all the random crap we’ve thrown in there.
● I’d organize my pantry. Oh to be able to walk in there and actually find the thing that I’m looking for would be what heaven is made of.
● I would read more. I love, love, LOVE to read. But most nights I’m so tired that even if I try to read, I get through a page (if I’m lucky) before falling asleep only to wake up and forget what I have read so I have to go back and read the page again the next night.
● I would spend more time with my friends. Go have coffee, chat, catch up with what’s going on in their lives, or maybe go for a spa treatment. But it would definitely not be in the form of an email, facebook post, or text. It would be face to face interaction. I miss that!
I try to remind myself that the time will come (and probably much sooner then I’m ready for it too) when I will have more time. When all the boys are in school there will be a few hours that I can devote to the secondary list. But for right now, my time is theirs, and that’s as it should be. But there are days like today, where I catch myself dreaming about just a few extra hours.
What would you do with an extra hour or two?