Pages

Monday, July 4, 2011

Maintain Humor or Drown at Sea

How does one live without humor?  I know that there are people out there that do, but I’m certainly not one of them.  I think you need humor in order to stay sane.  Having humor with strangers you meet allows you to laugh rather than simply assume that the whole world has gone crazy or even worse…that YOU are the only crazy one.  Having humor in families is a must so that you can remain a tightly wound unit of love and support.  It allows you to see from different peoples perspectives instead of being judgmental.  And of course without a doubt having humor when you are a mother is one of the many survival tools that we keep in our back pockets. 

Humor is my life preserver in this sea of testosterone with its fluctuating tides.  I cling to it on a daily if not hourly basis.  It is what I choose instead of freaking out. 

When all you ask for for yourself throughout the day is to have your extremely tired and overwrought baby please get some much needed sleep, and to be able to have a chance to use your bathroom without having company or hearing a splash the second after you sit down because someone forgot the important house rule of always putting the seat down, seems like you’ve asked for something outlandish like a Villa in the South of France, or the Hope Diamond.  You cling to humor.  When you catch your five year old trying to ride your one year old like he is a horse and has him pinned down to the floor grinding his face into the carpet….pass a can of humor please.  When your children have been quiet for most of the morning and you think to yourself “this is a great time to make a quick phone call to ____” and as soon as the person picks up on the other line your children decide it is time to either a) play 20 questions with you or b) conduct the first battle in their personal ongoing version of World War III over who gets to sit where on the couch.  You cling by your fingernails to humor.   

My mom bought me this great little plaque she found at a local festival and she said that she thought of me…


See…humor!!! I LOVE IT! I look at it every single morning and it brings a smile to my face and reminds me not to take things so seriously all the time. That with just a little bit of humor I will be able to survive the sea that day.

So I’ll take humor for 500 Alex, because I’m certainly not drowning today!




No comments: