Pages

Monday, November 7, 2011

10 High School Memories


This week is such a fun week for Stasha’s Monday Listicles because the fabulous Lovelinks got to choose the topic and even created a cute button to go with it.  The topic is High School. 



But, before I start on this week’s list I have to tell you how VERY excited I am to have been chosen to come up with next week’s topic.  Little Ol’ Me was actually asked to come up with a Monday Listicles topic.  I swear I must be dreaming right??  I’m honored, so very honored.  But along with this honor comes a bit of pressure.  I mean there are some great topics out there.  I don’t want to let all the wonderful listicles people down now do I?



So I had a ton of ideas run through my head.  But I kept coming back to one.



I’ve talked about how I just started embracing Fall.  Well it seems Winter is here already!  How did that happen??  I’m not ready!  So in protest I will be going on a vacation later this week.  And by vacation I mean a REAL vacation.  No kids, no husband, just me and my mom for a whole week in Cabo San Lucas.  So next week’s Monday Listicles topic is:



10 things that make a perfect vacation.



Have fun with it, spin it however you’d like!  I can’t wait to read them all!! 



And now, here are 10 of my High School Memories.



Being in High School during the early 90’s in the Pacific Northwest really was, well…lets say interesting!  I have a lot of fantastic memories of High School but there are a few that stand out.



1.  One word.  FLANNEL.  I never wore so much flannel in all my life.



2.  The footwear.  You basically wore three things.  Keds.  KSwiss   And my personal favorite…Birkenstocks with socks for every. Single. season.  You wear them with jeans and flannel shirts in the fall and winter, and shorts in the spring and summer.  They were extremely versatile and extremely UGLY!  HA!



3.  All the many, many concerts I performed while in the select choir called the Mello-Aires.  We performed at a used car lot and the fanciest hotel downtown and everywhere in between.



4.  Along the same lines of our select choir.  We were able to march in the Inaugural Parade for President Clinton and then later that week, in Disney World.  Band/Choir geek or not, that was a pretty amazing trip and one I will remember forever.



5.  School dances.  Looking back it seems we had dances for everything.  There was the homecoming dance (which wasn’t formal by the way…yes I’m still bitter), Winter Formal, and Tolo’s up the yin-yang.  Didn’t matter if it was formal, or if you were in a safari costume (yep…I was).  They always, ALWAYS played Billy Idol’s song Mony Mony.  And of course, everyone in the school changed the lyrics!  For the record, Billy Idol’s lyrics were much better. 



6.  Football games. These were the most memorable because of the friends and not the game itself.  Well, friends and a little candy.  This candy I’m referring to are those “O” shaped gummi candies that taste like apple or peach or something like that.  Of course these candies were re-named by a certain friend who brought them to every game.  The new name was “penis-rings.”  Childish, immature and stupid right?  Abso-freakin-lutely.  But it was High School.  I can name a bunch of things that fall into that category.



7.  I can’t make a list about high school without mentioning my car accident.  It was a HUGE part of my high school life.



8.  Skipping school in the afternoons in the spring time, like A LOT to go down to the beach and play volleyball, have a BBQ, more volleyball.  It was HEAVEN!



9.  Glasses.  I had contacts, but I was up so darn early in the morning for my select choir class I never wore them.  I should have.  I look back at so many of my pictures in high school wondering why the hell I didn’t wear my friggin contacts!! 



10.  Friends.  They made my high school memories what they are, plain and simple.  They were there for me in my times of need, celebrating my times of triumphs, and reassuring in my times of uncertainty.  I couldn’t have made it through High School without them.


29 comments:

Bits of Bee said...

I'm taking a grown up vacation at the end of the week too! Hubs and I are going for a Carribbean cruise - so excited to find some sunshine! So fun to read everyone's high school lists - yours is great, except for the car accident part. I'll have to get the full story from you another time. Enjoy your vacay!

Stasha said...

What a great list topic! LOVE. And on that subject, have a great vacation yourself. Make sure you do not think of any of us until you return. Unless you are twitting cabana boys..
As for your high school list I laughed a little too laud for this late hour at your fashion report! I just truly adore your funny writing. And your singing, so glad to hear it played such a vital part of those years!

Alison said...

A wonderful topic, Hopes. Have a great vacation!

Also, high school sounds like a good time :)

Anonymous said...

I definitely had the flannel, Keds and KSwiss here, too. Fun list!

Kate F. (@katefineske) said...

Have such a great trip! Can't wait to read all about it! Will you have internet access? Or will you be taking a break from your blog and twitter?

Loved your high school list! I remember the Keds, KSwiss, and Birkenstocks! AND the flannels. Apparently midwest styles weren't all that different? (Or I was just very fashionable/unfashionable - depending on the way you look at it??)

Anonymous said...

Your high school list gave me flashbacks of my high school days! Fun times!
Enjoy the vacation!!

christina said...

sounds like you had a pretty good time during HS!

Jennifer Hall said...

I think flannel and sandals with socks are still all the rage here in WA! But you didn't elaborate on your car accident. Did you get hurt and that's why it was a big deal?

Amanda @ It's Blogworthy said...

I can't do the high school linkup because I basically hated everything about high school..but vacations? I can do vacations ;)

Shell said...

Wow am I jealous of your vacation! Have a blast!

Jackie said...

First off, I am jealous! A grown up vacation! WOW!
As for your high school time, I too had my far share of flannel. What were we thinking?

Natalie said...

Why in the world did we wear so much flannel then? Definitely not a decade to take fashion tips from LOL!

Mommy2¢ said...

Wow - have a blast on your vaca! I'm so jealous!! I'm also jealous you had a beach to skip out to. :^P All we had were old backroads with a cooler of beer which in hindsight was very stupid!!

Cookie’s Mom said...

Yes, I skipped a class or two in my time, but sadly... no beach. We spent the time playing Euchre at the local donut shop.

LOVING next week's listicle topic. Where to go...? What to do when I get there....?

Julie said...

OH MY - I now have got to find "Mony Mony" on YouTube and watch it for old times sake.

Yes to that one, my friend.
At every dance. Without fail.

Also for us, "Rock Lobster."
Down...down...down....

Gotta love it.

I feel old.

Miss Marina Star said...

I love reading everyone's lists this week. Sounds like you have a lovely high school experience, the perfect mix of rebellion and choir nerd shenanigans!

Missy | Literal Mom said...

Can't wait to see your list for next week too - congrats on getting to pick it! I might have to link up. If I'm not drowning in NaNo . . .

Amanda said...

Ha, I hear you about the socks and Birkenstocks. I perfected the art of wearing them with long, flowery hippie skirts and sweatshirts. Oh, and cords with a flannel shirt with the arms ripped off, a la Joey Lawrence. Whoa!

Jamie said...

First - FANTASTIC list choice! Already spinning wheels...
Second - have a blast on your vacation!
Third - Flannels!!! I love them... when they become somewhat fashionable again I couldn't wait to get one!

Bees With Honey said...

Oh my God, I totally forgot about Keds. They were my footwear of choice! Ha ha, the good ol' days!

Kimberly said...

Oh flannel...what were we thinking.
Remember Doc Martiens? I rocked those too.

Anonymous said...

I will still wear the hell out of some Doc Martens. Growing up in the PW in the 90s must have been awesome. I'm going out and buying a flannel shirt right now.

Rach (DonutsMama) said...

Oh I remember the flannel shirts too! But the main shoe everyone had was Cole-Haans down here!

Greta @gfunkified said...

Ha! As soon as you said where and when you went to high school, flannel popped into my head. That and Nirvana. :)

tracy@sellabitmum said...

Love this list. Loved high school so much and am so glad I never have to go back. lol

Melissa said...

The best thing about being a kid was the wonderful time off of school! Hope you have a blast!

Kristy @Loveandblasphemy said...

Oh yeah, as soon as you said early 90's in the Pacific Northwest, I though - GRUNGE MOVEMENT!! What a time.

Just A Normal Mom said...

Our homecoming was formal, so no Winter Formal. But we had tons of Tolo's, too! My son's school only has one. And it's usually on the same Saturday as an all day gymnastics meet that his girlfriend competes in.

Football games were a ton of fun for us, too. Not sure how many I actually watched, but the social aspect was great! :)

Anonymous said...

Your high school experience sounds SO much like mine, right down to being in choir and Mony Mony. You are the first person that I didn't go to school with who knows about the "alternate lyrics" to that song.
Great list!