Pages

Saturday, October 8, 2011

The Storms A Brewin’

We’re not talking tornados, hurricanes or flash floods. 

Nope, I’m just talking about a completely different kind of storm.  And it pretty much stinks.

Last week was a typical week.  Big T comes home from school, grabs himself a snack and does his homework.  Right afterwards he usually comes and sits next to me on the couch and does some reading. 

As soon as he walked by me I smelled something funny.

My mind immediately thought he stepped in something so I had him take his shoes off.  Check the bottom and there was nothing *whew* thank goodness.

But the smell was still there. 

So we had to check INSIDE his shoes and while it wasn’t the most pleasant smell in the world…what shoe, or foot for that matter of an 8 year old boy is?....it still wasn’t THE smell I was smelling.

I couldn’t figure it out.  I thought maybe our dog Kona tracked something in.  So there I am on my hands and knees smelling the carpet in our family room.  Nothing.

Then Big T walked by me again and I knew without a doubt that it was something ON HIM.  But what?  And more importantly, WHERE was it!!!

I started smelling his clothes and *DING, DING, DING, DING* we have a winner!!

My 8 year old boy had BO! 

He’s only EIGHT!  But man that kid’s smell under his armpits could rival that of any grown male.

So I thought it was because he played soccer at all three recesses that day made sure he took a good LONG shower that night and brushed it off. 

Until the next day, when the same smell came walking through my door after school.

*sigh*

So my 8 year old boy has started wearing deodorant!  I can’t believe it!  Did I mention he was only 8?  I did?  Well I mean really….he’s only 8!

So here we are.  We are at the beginning of the smelly phase of boyhood.  The smells are only going to get worse from here on out and I’m not ready.  I’m really, really not ready!  Because soon Sweet Pea will start with the smells and Buggy will follow him.

I will be surprised if the paint is still on the walls in 8 years. 

I’m going to have to lock myself in my bedroom with millions of Lilac, Roses and pieces of clean laundry just to keep my nose hairs from burning off.

Time to stock up on deodorant and mouth wash and athletes foot powder and goodness knows what else! 

Costco here I come!

How do you handle the “stinky” parts of motherhood?

25 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness! My oldest son is 7-1/2. I had no idea we could be facing B.O. issues so soon...
You had me laughing when I pictured your crawling around the floor, sniffing your carpet!

Alison said...

No, no, no, no, no!!!! They're not supposed to have BO until they leave home!!!

Rach (DonutsMama) said...

OH wow, that's something I haven't even thought about! We're still dealing with diapers over here, lol!

Sandra said...

My 14 year old would be jealous of your 8 year old.

The Sisters' Hood said...

Both of my girls wear deodorant ... and my little one who is nine has been wearing it since before she turned 8. I thought I was losing it - then Googled bo, and found a site that said how early puberty can come in African American little girls.
THIS week, she showed me she is growing hair, yes, underarm hair .. shoot me!

@katefineske said...

Oh my goodness! My daughter is nearly nine... I keep waiting for this phase to begin ... Right now we're still only dealing with sweaty, smelly socks and shoes... But I'm certain we are right behind you! Ugh :(

Karin @Mommy's Paradise said...

Gosh, as soon as the diaper phase is over, the BO phase begins. And silly me thought I might have a slack, just kiddin'. But I didn't know the BO can start that early. Well, I still have 5 more years without. :-)

Missy | Literal Mom said...

Yes, this is a hot topic in my house right now too b/c some of my 9yo's friends are getting BO, she wants it, and doesn't have it yet.

I'm hoping for a little more time before she gets it. ;)

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

I'm Jennifer,

It's FREAKING ME OUT! I didn't think we would hit this "stage" so soon.

I am an animal owner. If you visit my house you might see me with my nose to the carpet a time or two!! HA! I don't like funky smells in my house!

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Alison,

RIGHT?!?!? Somehow, Big T didn't get that memo. Or, he ignored it. Typical.

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Rach,

I've got both, BO from Big T and diapers from Buggy. Basically, I'm screwed!

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Sandra,

Which means that I'm jealous of YOU! HA!

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

By Word of Mouth Musings,

Yeah, I'm SO not ready for the hair talk! UGH!!

I think the reason I'm so freaked out is because it means that puberty is right around the corner.

I'm envisioning myself sitting in the corner with my glass of wine saying "I'm not ready" over and over again.

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

@katefineske,

Yeah, it's not the best phase in my opinion. Feet stink + BO= house smelling like a locker room. *sigh*

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Mommy's Paradise,

I didn't know either! Freaks me out a bit! Enjoy those 5 years because once the smell comes, it's all over! :)

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Missy,

HA! I remember those days. Wishing to be old enough have to shave, and wear deodorant.

Now? Now I wish I never had to do those things. It's amazing what we wish for when we are young. Thinking that deodorant makes ups older, when all it does is cover up the stink!

Dana K said...

Ugh. Klaw is 18 mos and his feet can get RANCID! I'm sure his hormones are going to make him disgustingly stinky, poor kid.

April said...

No flippin' way!!!! My 11 yr old hasn't hit that stage yet. I am so not looking forward to it, though. I have spent time w/my nose to carpet. ;)

Jamie said...

Oh I"m so not here and can't believe how soon I will be! Who knew deodarant could represent so much!

Grumpy Grateful Mom said...

Lol! Though maybe you're not laughing! I'm hoping I won't have to deal with this for many years. My oldest daughter will be 8 this year. This is surely only a boy thing, right? :)

Kimberly said...

You must be living in my house. My son? Stinks. Sometimes even the deodorant doesn't even help. Ugh, I thought we had time before this happened??

Anonymous said...

This makes me laugh and sad at the same time. My son is 4, and it is tough to believe in 4 years I could have this same scenario.....

Sarah said...

This really made me laugh. I'm so paranoid about B.O. that I actually started my 10 yr old son and 9 yr old daughter using deoderant before they ever started stinking! UGH!
Since we have 3 boys... and their rooms are all upstairs... I KNOW I'm gonna have to seriously DEstinkify the upstairs when they're all teenagers!!! AGH!

Thanks for linking up for #SundayFunday!!!

Eat. Live. Laugh. and sometimes shop! said...

Oh no!!! My son is 8 too and I imagine it is just around the corner. I am not looking forward to the stink. Of course, I'll handle stinky better than sticky sheets!!!!

Kir said...

I read this and just said, Well even at 3 they are stinky. They poop in the potty now, so their butts stink all the time and their Feet....P..U!!!


plus whne I used to babysit/nanny I had girls at 7, 8, 9 who really had started to smell even then...I am under no illusion that boys would be any different, BUT I truly wish that it wasn't so.


their room is funky now, I can't imagine the locker room smell in a few year. ICK