Pages

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Sunday Sweetness ~ A Special Birthday


This post is going to be short and sweet, because there is a rocking party to get to.



It’s not for one of my children, or husband, or mother, father, brother, sister-in-law, or niece.


Nope, it’s for the woman who made ALL of this possible.  It is for the matriarch of our family, the woman who keeps everything and EVERYONE together.



Today’s celebration is for my Grandmother. 



90 years is a long time.  But you wouldn’t know it by looking at her. 



I swear she has a larger social calendar than Angelina Jolie.



She’s either going to Tai Chi, or Bowling, or Golfing, or to the Senior Center, or out shopping with her girls on Tuesdays.



She is still in her own home going up and down the stairs to do laundry, and tends to the gardening in her large yard (she can’t STAND it if she isn’t able to get out into her yard even if it is just for a few minutes). She attends every party she is every invited to (she is Norwegian after all) and tells the absolute BEST stories about life, family, and love.



But to me, she is SO much more than what she does from day to day, week to week, or month to month.



She is memories of my childhood, my adulthood, and my motherhood. 



She is waking up to the smell of bacon and Swedish Pancakes in the morning.  The climbing of trees in the afternoon followed by lunch, a game of aggravation, then it’s off to Fred Meyer to pick out a toy.  Then ending the day by going to our favorite Burger place where I finally get to do something for her.  I get to pour her coffee, and bring it to her at our table walking so very carefully so as not to spill a drop.



She is a hug, a kiss, and a smile that will always ALWAYS be there.  Even when you are cleaning your parents blinds because you broke curfew on her watch (by the way, don’t ever mess with Grandma).



She is the woman who can bust out the “YMCA” like no other and did it in a foot cast at my wedding.



She is the story teller of the family and the heritage we came from.  She is the link to the past and the platform to the future. 



She is my children’s Gigi.  And there is only ever ONE Gigi. 



She came to the hospital after all three of my children were born. 



She gives them hugs, smiles, laughs and a listening ear.  She always has an open lap for them to sit on and always has a snuggle waiting in the wings.  She attends each and every one of her great-grandchildrens’ birthdays (the only ones she misses are out of state). 



She creates holiday memories that will carry them through adulthood.   



So today is a special day.



Today, we are celebrating 90 years of kindness, love, and flat out wonderfulness on this earth.



Today I will raise a Gin and Tonic in her honor, and thank her once again for all that she’s done, all that she does, and all that she is.



Happy Happy Birthday Grandma.  You are loved more than you will ever know.

25 comments:

McKenna said...

Love this, I have a very similar grandma and I hope I can be just like her when I'm old. Happy Birthday to your grandma!

Bits of Bee said...

Your grandma sounds awesome! I hope to be half as energetic as she is when I'm her age!

Bits of Bee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alison said...

Happy Birthday to your grandmother!!

Jamie said...

Happy Birthday to her... I want to see a picture!

Missy | Literal Mom said...

What a huge birthday, totally worthy of a huge celebration. I hope you had a great time.

Christi said...

Now that sounds like a wonderful party and a fabulous woman to celebrate! Your grandma seems pretty amazing - I hope I'm like that at 90. :-)

Shell said...

Happy birthday to her!

Kristy @Loveandblasphemy said...

Oh, this makes my heart hurt. My grandmother was amazing. I love her so much. She passed a year ago, so she has certainly been on my mind lately and all of those hard memories from last year. I was with her when she took her last breaths. I thought she'd live past 100 - she was just an amazing lady. But she got an aggressive blood cancer and passed 5 weeks after diagnosis. She had a personal trainer at the gym! I regret not having flown out for her big 80 birthday bash a few years ago. Enjoy her. You are lucky.

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Jessica,

Thank you! I too hope that I can be like my grandmother when I'm older. She just rocks!!

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Bits of Bee,

She IS awesome! I can't believe how much energy she has sometimes. She has more energy than me most days. HA!

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Alison,

Thank you so much!

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Jamie,

Thank you! I would love to show a picture but not sure how she would feel about having her face up on the internet! She's particular about that kind of thing! :)

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Missy,

We had a great time thank you. Old people know how to party! HA!

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Christi,

She is an AMAZING woman! I admire her SO much!

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Shell,

Thank you!

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Oh Kristy,

I'm so very very sorry for your loss. We definitely treasure every minute we have with her!

Kimberly said...

This reminds me so much of my own Grandmother. Spunky, even in her later years. Happy birthday to her!

Rach (DonutsMama) said...

What a wonderful tribute! Happy Birthday to your grandmother! I hope I'm as active as she is when I'm older.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Grandma!

I have a super awesome granny as well, she keeps our family together. I hope to be her one day.

Bees With Honey said...

Happy Birthday to your Grandma. This post made me miss both of mine.

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Kimberly,

I love how they keep their fire no matter how old they get!

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Rach,

Thank you.

You and me both!!

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

MamaMash,

Thank you so much!

You're grandmother sounds awesome. I have no doubt you will follow in her shoes!

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Bees With Honey,

Thank you.

I'm so sorry you lost both your grandmothers. I lost all of my grandparents (with the exception of this one) when I was 5. So she is very special to me!