Pages

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Sunday Sweetness ~ Adventures, Excitement, Love, and Memories


We just returned from our first trip as a family of five that required us going on an airplane.



Let me preface this by telling you this was a BIG DEAL!!



Our last trip on a plane with children was when Big T wasn’t two years old yet.  It was an easy flight, there were two parents for the one child.  We all fit in one row on the airplane nicely.  Easy peasy!



Fast forward to current day and two more boys later and I would be lying if before we left I wasn’t contemplating buying Valium on the streets just to get me through the flight.  Okay not really…but the flight was too early to start drinking wine so the thought crossed my mind only for a fleeting moment.  Can you blame me??



Turns out…it wasn’t needed, at least not for the flight down anyway.



We woke up in plenty of time, got to the airport while lugging around every friggin thing in our house with the exception of maybe a couch or two, with surprising ease.  Everyone was excited, and Buggy was just taking it all in.



We board when they tell us to, we get settled, and then we sit, and we sit, and sit, and sit some more.  Buggy doesn’t like to sit.  He doesn’t even like it when I have to stop at a red light while we are in the car.  So after sitting and not going anywhere or doing anything for 30 minutes he started to get grumpy.  And he wasn’t the only one on the plane that was grumpy. WOOO NELLY people were crabby.  It’s pretty difficult to tell your children to be patient when they are surrounded by adults who don’t have that ability either. 



After the plane started moving it was smooth sailing.  Buggy ate well and actually slept on the plane.  Big T did some of his homework, and Sweet Pea stared out the window for most of the flight just in awe! 



Then we get into San Diego, hauling all our crap once again, going up elevators, down elevators, up again, and down again.  We must have been in 5 elevators before even getting to the Courtesy Van area…it was friggin crazy!!  Oh I should mention that the shuttle rides to car rental pick ups are considered amusement park rides to the boys. 



The first day was all about getting settled into what would be our home for the next 5 days.  First and only stop was the Grocery Store.  And may I just take a moment to thank the good government of California for making hard alcohol available in grocery stores!  Talk about one stop shopping!  This mommy and daddy were extremely pleased!




Second Day the fun begins….SeaWorld!



I don’t know who was more excited, the boys or me.  But there was enough energy bouncing off the walls in our little beach bungalow that we could have flown it over to the park!



First up was Breakfast With Shamu.  We were SO close to the Orcas that the only thing separating us was the glass.  We had some food, watch them do some fantastic tricks, took a bazillion pictures, and got soaking wet!  Totally fun!



After that we explored every inch of the park.  And I do mean, every single inch and it took us 7 hours to do so.  All of us LOVED it!  Although I have to admit, this mommy got a little freaked out while we were in the underwater tunnel of the Shark exhibit and noticed that we were being tracked by a little Great White Shark all…the…way…down…the…tunnel.  That shark wanted my baby for lunch and he made no bones about it.  Gave me the heebie-jeebies!



The highlight for the whole family was the Blue Horizons Show.  Big T left saying he wanted to become a Marine Biologist, Sweet Pea wanted to High Five the divers and Buggy even got to see everything that was happening and he cheered and clapped and just loved it!



The next day was a trip up to LegoLand.  The boys (including my husband) were so excited they almost wet themselves.  I have to admit, it’s pretty darn cool there.  Rides, everything made out of Legos?  What’s not to love?  Buggy even found something to love while we were there.  The little splash park for the kiddos.  It was a hot day and everyone enjoyed getting cooled off in the water. 



Our final day was spent at the beach.  Because how do you go to California and NOT go to a beach?  The boys had a blast.  Big T spent hours pretending he was a surfer.  Sweet Pea just tried to stay up on his feet when the waves would wash upon the shore, and Buggy once again was content to watch everything that was happening.



So even with the exhausted children, the blow out poopy diapers (yeah, by my count there were at least three, two of them on the airplane…fun times), and the fighting between the two older boys.  I wouldn’t change a thing.


Not a second!  Because within all the work, adventures were had, excitement was on the faces of my children for 5 solid days, and the memories that were made will last a lifetime. 



Well worth it and then some!



What are some of your favorite memories that you have made while traveling with your children?

12 comments:

Alison said...

Great job on traveling with the kids, surviving the plane rides and having fun!!

Kimberly said...

So glad you had a good time! I always worry when I travel with the kids but they've been surprising me and handling it so well!

Grumpy Grateful Mom said...

I'm glad things went so well, except for the blow-outs.

I haven't been on a plane since we had our 3rd child. Though we may drive down to Sea World one of these days. My husband says Sea World was one of his favorite memories from his childhood. Maybe your kids will feel the same. :)

Missy | Literal Mom said...

Glad you had a great time! Sometimes it all works out soooooo well. I'm glad it did for you. :)

Our family tradition is that we ALWAYS get Chipotle as our first meal when we get home from vacation. Yum. And a great way to top off a trip.

Kir said...

It sounds like you all had a fantastic time...I am so glad you got to makes those memories , your boys are so lucky to have you....family vacations are some of my favorite memories too and I know your sons are never forget that fantastic trip!

Jamie said...

I am impressed!!! Good for you!

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Alison,

I have to admit I was getting a tad panicky on the days leading up to our trip, but I'm so thankful things went so smoothly. From then on, I was able to relax and enjoy the family time.

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Kimberly,

I like those kids of surprises, don't you? I think it has to be because they are so excited, they don't know what to expect and therefore not sure how to behave. Works for me! :)

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Grumpy Grateful Mom,

Yeah I could have done without the blow-outs but what do you do?

I absolutely LOVED Sea World and could have easily gone back for a second day. I hope the boys remember their time there as fondly as your husband does.

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Missy,

Thanks! I'm very thankful it turned out the way it did. If Buggy hadn't been as easy going as he was, things could have turned out a lot differently.

What a great tradition you have. AND it means you don't have to cook! WINNER!

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Kir,

I do hope they remember this forever. Like you some of my most wonderful memories are of family vacations! I of course had NO idea at the time how much work goes into them, but that's the point isn't it? As a child you aren't suppose to know, you are just suppose to enjoy!

Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

Jamie,

Thank you sweets!!